Monday, January 25, 2010

Review of Yankee Foxtrot Hotel


I have a "problem" in life that has been a recurring one.

My problem is that I often find out about great albums and bands after the fact. Once the band has broken up or is no longer "cool" is when I'll finally discover them. By then it's too late to see the band live in their prime or perhaps even see them at all.

The latest example of this is Wilco and the "Yankee Foxtrot Hotel" album. Sometimes the reason I don't listen to things when they first come out is because of the hype. There was a lot of hype about this album when it came out. The story behind its release is now an internet legend. I remember reading about it at the time and thinking, "how good could this album be?"

It's simply one of the best albums I've heard in years. I'm kicking myself that I denied myself the pleasure of listening to this album for the last 8 years! When will I ever learn that sometimes you should believe the hype?

No comments: