Here are some of the fun and neat things Chicago area library's are doing with their Facebook fan pages.
On the Chicago Public Library facebook fan page there is a,
• “Ask a Librarian” box with a link to live reference via chat
• “We Recommend” box with pictures of books with links to reviews
• “Free Media” box with links to audio books and movies
On the Skokie Public Library facebook fan page there is a,
• Link to the library’s RSS feeds using a built in facebook app.
• Box with a list of upcoming releases and bestsellers
• Box with a direct link to the catalog. Do searches through facebook.
• Video with instructions on how to use the “magazine and newspaper locator” electronic resource.
• Box with live chat reference using a Meebo application
On the Evanston Public Library facebook fan page there is a,
• Box with pix from the library’s Flickr account.
On the Morton Grove Public Library facebook page there is a,
• Note on the Wall from the “Friends of the Library” with instructions on how to become an active member and help contribute to the library.
On the Oak Park Public Library facebook page there is a,
• Box with a link for homework help that leads to the library’s electronic resources.
On the Northbrook Public Library facebook fan page there is a,
• Box with the iBistro logo and a direct link to the catalog
• Box with information on how to download books from My Media Mall
• Box with a link to email the reference librarian with questions
• Box with links to podcasts with library related materials
• Box with thumbnails of popular books with links to the catalog entry
• Box with info on recording video tributes to President Lincoln that will later be loaded onto the page.
It should be pointed out that many of these links and resources are provided by applications that are built into Facebook and are free of charge. There are more and more of these library focused applications being built all the time because Facebook is becoming so popular in the library community.